The rheumatology service at Poole Hospital aims to provide
comprehensive and individual care for patients with inflammatory
arthritis and their carers.
We recognise the importance of responding to the individual's
needs and respecting their privacy, dignity, beliefs and
values. Rheumatology practitioners aim to maintain or improve the
quality of life for our patients and their carers. We work within
the wider multi-disciplinary team, keeping the patient as the
central focus of all care planning and delivery.
Our clinical expertise and practice is based on a core of
professional knowledge and skills, supported by current research
and founded on professional values. We endeavour to share our
expertise through education to patients, carers and other health
Inflammatory arthritis can be a persistent and troublesome
condition. It can have a big impact on your life, affecting your
day-to-day activities, and also your family and friends. Often the
drug treatments for arthritis require careful monitoring to be used
safely and effectively.
- Specialist diagnostic and treatment services for patients with
all forms of rheumatic complaints including connective tissue
diseases, inflammatory arthritis, osteoarthritis, orthopedic
medical conditions, paediatric rheumatology and osteoporosis.
- A monitoring and management service for patients with
- Rehabilitation services for rheumatology patients with physical
disability, in conjunction with physiotherapy, occupational
therapy, social work, podiatry etc.
- Epidural injection clinic.
- A problem back pain clinic
- A combined paediatric and rheumatology clinic for children with
- A day case service for minor procedures including those
requiring a general anaesthetic.
- An inpatient service for rheumatology patients and a
consultancy service for all hospitals.
- Provision for osteoporosis sufferers in conjunction with
Osteoporosis Dorset, a
medically led charitable trust aimed at prevention through
education coupled with new methods of diagnosis and treatment.
- Health care research
- A teaching service for trainee rheumatologist, GPs and other
Directions to the department
Directions to the department from the Dome
Follow signs to the Studland Centre and Rheumatology
Directions to the department from the Longfleet Rd
Follow signs to the Cancer Day centre and Studland centre,
Rheumatology dept situated within the Studland centre.