Health Information and Resource Centre
The Health Information and Resource Centre forms part of Poole Hospital Trust, but is situated in a separate building on Longfleet Road, next to the Multistorey Car Park. Its purpose is to provide a comprehensive health information service, with the aim of helping individuals to understand and take responsibility for their health.
- To provide full and relevant information for patients, relatives and carers, within a confidential and supportive environment.
- To empower patients, relatives and carers, enabling them to influence their situation in a positive way.
- To act as a resource for patients and their families.
- To act as a resource for the provision of information to health professionals
What is available?
Information in the form of:
- Leaflets, booklets and reference books covering a wide range of illnesses, treatments and situations
- Audio and videotapes
- Quality internet information - staff provide guidance on, and access to, quality health information on the Internet.
- Journal articles
- Research studies
- Databases of local and national organisations
Support and guidance
- The health information service is staffed by qualified health professionals, who are able to give support and guidance in a confidential environment, or refer on when appropriate.
- The seminar room on the first floor is used for support groups, lectures, workshops and seminars.
Our current drop-in times are Monday to Friday, 9.30 a.m. - 4.p.m.
At other times an appointment may be necessary; please ring us to check.
Telephone service - 01202 448003
This is provided whenever the Centre is staffed. A confidential voicemail service is available at other times. Many enquiries can be dealt with by telephone. In other situations, enquirers are encouraged to visit the Centre if possible.
Health Information on prescription - Information Prescription Pads
The Health Information and Resource Centre promotes the use of specially designed Information Prescription Pads for staff to use to help patients access the information available at the Centre. These may be used by any staff to encourage patients to contact the Health Information Centre, but they are not compulsory! Any enquirer, be they patients, relatives or staff, can just call in or phone, email or fax and we will do our best to help them with their informational needs. The pads are available from the Health Information and Resource Centre on request.
The hospital 'grab sheet'
Completing a hospital grab sheet provides healthcare professionals with information about the person (patient) as an individual.
The hospital grab sheet has been developed by working closely with Poole Forum, people with learning disabilities, people with dementia and their carers.
It has also been adapted from the ‘This is me’ document produced by the Alzheimer’s Association and supported by the Royal College of Nursing.
Click here for more information on the hospital grab sheet.
Health Information Co-ordinator – Karen Uphill
Tel: 01202 448003
Fax: 01202 448363